Wednesday, January 1, 2014

From Perfectionism to Freedom, How do you Grow?

There are so many awesome resources of inspiration out there for how to become a better you. I watched a Ted Talks today on trying something new for 30 day intervals. Doing something every day for 30 days can break or establish a new habit and change patterns of thought and behavior. The speaker wrote a 50,000 word book, rode his bike to work, changed his diet, and took a picture every day. He said days slowed down and time was enjoyable when he did one thing every day. He could remember every photo he took, where he was, what he was doing and how he was feeling. Amazing.  I love this idea. I made a list today of things I'd like to do for thirty days and I have a calendar I received for free in the mail yesterday that I will mark the month of each idea. I jotted down: take a picture every day, learn a language, learn an instrument, work on a web site, publish and finalize teacher training materials, publish and finish children's yoga books.

When I taught preschool, a teacher tip of the trade was to use a chart and help kids grow into or out of a new behavior by practicing and marking off with stickers every time they accomplish the goal over the two week span. This seemed to be a pretty good way to learn new skills that are doable every day. Part of learning, I think, was sometimes missing the mark.  The ego hoping to be perfect, unflawed and all-knowing hesitates to be imperfect, yet it is mistakes and struggles that really help individuals remember, change and blossom humbly. For example, I'll never forget when I was learning to speak Spanish and I accidentally ordered condoms instead of jelly. I really had to laugh at myself and admit that mistake making is memorable and if we can lighten up about not knowing before knowing, it can be fun(ny.)

I was at a party last night with mostly Russian first language speakers. One young lady was brave and despite not knowing exactly how to express herself, she slowly spoke her mind in English. She was not perfect and made some mistakes, but we connected and she said she felt a sense of freedom. Later, I tried to communicate with another girl who admitted she was too embarrassed to make mistakes and she refused to talk. She also decided not to listen. She said she felt bad having everything I said translated back to her but she didn't trust herself to understand so she didn't even listen to what I said out of fear of not understanding. Coming from an approach of self doubt and fear of being wrong  paralyzed her. Where, conversely, the other young woman was empowered by her chance taking willingness to be imperfect and learning. I know from experience, its not until using a second language every day for a great deal of the day, while explaining oneself in words only of that language and making mistakes, that make a proficient speaker become fluent and a beginner more advanced. It is the application, the doing, and the willingness not to be perfect that makes one's learning a process and not a destination. We can be free when we say no to being perfect archetypes, say no to perfectionism and instead and be curious learners, like the children we once were and will always carry in our beings.

This is a time of year to consider one's growth points and be intentional and disciplined while we map our evolving paths'. Yet, rather than strive to be perfect at something, why not allow ourselves the space and time to try things just for the experience and not the outcome. What strategy or approach appeals most to you?

To a year of individual growth and shifting our collective consciousness,
Love and Light,
Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment