Sunday, March 15, 2015

Review of the Continuing Ed Gather for Children's Yoga Teachers



On Saturday, March 14, the inaugural gathering was held at Bow Street Yoga. It was hosted by Christyne Shroeder  and Checka Antifonario. I was excited to see other outstanding experts in the field.

As I arrived, there was a family style yoga class being held by the aforementioned amazing ladies. Christyn's booming, gorgeous voice greeted me before I even stepped inside. I could hear her from the driveway! I walked into a friendly circle of small children, moms, and (yoga) teachers. I slipped right in next to the duo and I am glad I did. Their positive vibrations, experience and skill were welcoming. I loved the natural flow that Christyn employed going between her teacher voice and singing a song. The flow we were moving to as she (as we all joined her) sang, "If the the Little Rain Drops." Checka and Christyn led us through a spring time yoga class where we melted snow and planted seeds. We took turns, letting the kids be the seeds as we watered and gave them sun and then we switched. Everyone, tiny and grown, was having fun. Then we deeply relaxed. Lovely class! I especially appreciated how Checka went around to make sure all the seeds, grown up or child, got to feel the sun and rain on their backs. It was super sweet. I did not mind the foot rub either!

Once the class ended, we reconvened for Tara Rachel of Flower Yoga's presentation. What was amazing about her class is the deep knowledge she clearly had about the developing body's mechanics. She was using simple language so it was easy to follow. To me, a lot of the information felt intuitive but I never knew the basis in anatomy before her presentation. She was impressive, leading us as if we were the children while filling us with knowledge as educators. I was impressed with her story telling. I felt relaxed listening to her story about the lifespan of a seed. It was beautiful, and daring how she took us from the exhilarating beginnings of the seed wanting to break out from the cold ground, through the life of the flower, to it losing its seeds, shriveling and dying off. She didn't leave out the gorgeous language as she managed to tie in the cycle of life so beautifully and softly.  She also taught us from her own book which I have seen in homes of the children I teach yoga to, It's Time For Yoga.  I am usually skeptical to train for more than a single weekend with any kid's yoga teacher, but her presentation was so amazing that I am singing up for her 95 Hour Teacher training this July.

We were blessed to then have the renowned Elizabeth Goranson of Stretch What Matters. Her shtick is inclusion. She was a special education teacher for 15 years before starting Stretch What Matters. Her program is spoken of so highly that before I met her in person I recommended one of my Flow and Grow teacher trainee graduates register for her upcoming training this April. She has touched a lot of lives. What was impressive about Elizabeth, beside her amazing sense of humor was her passion and emotion for her field. She got teary eyed presenting. Although her time was short, we got to see and understand modalities for inclusion and implantable ideas. We discussed real issues we face as teachers of children who are far from typical. What is typical, anyhow? And she drove home the point that if we slow down to make the information accessible for one child, they all benefit. It may seem like a lot of work upfront to prepare so thoroughly, but it makes learning comfortable and possible. In my experience, inclusion is left out of most general (kids yoga) trainings so I was thrilled to have this topic offered.

Finally, Sara Andres Gardener, the founder of Yoga Reaches Out charity presented on fund raising. Her time was short but she managed to drive home that if you have an idea and plant it like a seed, work hard, and work for a greater good, BIG THINGS CAN HAPPEN. She is an inspiration.

I am so grateful to have spent my time with these women who are leaders in the industry in the Boston area. I am leaving the area shortly to pursue my dreams in New York but plan remain involved in the yoga industry and with these stunning colleagues of passion and intention. I highly recommend signing up for the subsequent date in May!


No comments:

Post a Comment