Monday, February 23, 2015

Knowing emotional intelligence versus having it

While spending a great deal of time in schools, predominantly preschools, I have seen a lot of import placed on emotional intelligence. I watch the curriculum about feelings being taught by use of pictures, puppetry and vocabulary about feelings. Problem solving is taught. Sometimes real solutions to emotional reactions are taught and learned by the smallest children. They make huge strides in their ability to use words rather than hit or scream, they develop words for expressing feelings and this is paramount to their development as children.

It is all very encouraging to watch this emphasis on emotional intelligence and social interaction. I am struck, though, that more emphasis isn't put on the personal development of teachers. Teachers must have a lot of academic and professional experience. They must get continuing education credits each school year. I know teachers are doing their best with what they have. I love and respect the profession. Many of my colleagues are teachers and I used to be one myself in the traditional classroom. Yet, while I watch these people teaching emotional intelligence, I can't help but wonder about their own emotional and social development. The yogis have systems of theory AND practice regarding the mental and social behavior  called the Yamas and Niyamas. While I will not turn this article into another lesson on those concepts (but you are welcome to google it or read literature!!!!,) I will say that the teachers need more practice when it comes to the mental processes involved in processing feelings and then the way they behave in response (not reaction to) feelings and stimulus. This does not involve just a theory-based approach, but experientially based approach involving self-examination, meditation, deep relaxation and practice to be able to actually see and hear the present moment. To be able to ascertain just what kind of judgement and physiological response one has to stimulus, whether that stimulus be in the classroom, on the road, or in one's own mind.

I won't lie. With more than a decade of practice in this by doing yoga, meditation, studying and self-study, I still find myself reactive sometimes.  Yet, I have the anchor of practices and intention to come back to. I am sure that, with more of an emphasis on teacher's personal, emotional and pro-social development, with more emphasis on mindfulness and meditation, they would start to evolve, too. Teachers who can let stress roll off them life rain off a raincoat because of their practices will be more resourceful and more able to give the children what they need. Teachers who study their own mind to see patterns, and then begin to shift to patterns more in line with what they intend to do rather than what they automatically do, will be more effective in their classroom (and life outside of school.)

I support teachers. I recognize their part in brining up the next generation. The children spend a huge amount of time being led by teachers. Why wouldn't we support teachers, then, to continuously develop from within not just professionally but personally. Schools providing opportunities for teachers to learn about their mind, to learn how to deeply relax, and get to know one's own self, will come out ahead. They will better serve children and the results will be tangible and even measurable. By simply repeating workshops so the skills are taught, retaught, examined and applied in more precise ways, we can move this world forward and create adults leaders of children who MODEL exactly the type of pro-social and self-directed behaviors we would want of our kids. Imagine a world where a teacher makes a mistake and in her mind, instead of belittling herself, she sees the opportunity to shift towards another thought pattern, behavior pattern and outcome, a positive one. This is possible. Please ask me how I can help you bring this kind of learning to your teachers! I want to help every single child and every single teacher needs to be brought to a higher consciousness so that goal can be attained.

Email me for services (or I can recommend someone amazing closer to your area!)

flowandgrowkids@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment