Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Accidental Vegan

I have always been sensitive and as such, have spent much of my life vegetarian. I was happily eating cheese and eggs until...
I learned that most cheese is made with (animal) rennet, which comes from the stomach of cows mostly. Unfortunately I could not unlearn that and have since stopped eating non vegetarian cheese. I also learned that (and saw a video of) baby male chicks being ground alive in giant grinders because they can not be used for eggs or meat. This is a practice of chicken farming globally. I decided to change my diet to change my impact. Here are two things that have been a yummy result of those choices.


Corn-co-nut Muffins:
Heat oven to 350 and line cupcake tin with coconut oil then

I mixed:
One box trader joe’s corn bread mix
Tons of unsweetened coconut flakes
Half a can of coconut cream
Half can coconut milk
Lots of chia seeds
Lots of flax seed meal
A heavy handful of frozen corn
·        
   If you want sweet, you could add honey or brown sugar, but the mix was slightly sweetened and the muffins were delicious. 


Mix well, maybe adding cranberry raisins or pomegranate seeds if you desire.
Scoop ¼ of batter into pan. (Yields approx. 11 muffins)
Bake for 20-ish minutes until firm and the fork comes out clean. These are delicious monsters of nutrition. Serve with butter or coconut oil and enjoy them warm or cold.


I bought a Nutribullet RX. I have been experimenting with it, as I am not one to follow a recipe. Tonight I made an alfredo-like pasta sauce that is highly satisfying and nutritious.


Alfredo-esque pasta
If you want hot comfort food of dense nutrition and low guilt.

Process:
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1-2 heavy handfuls of raw spinach (or any green)
1 jalapeno without stem (remove seeds to taste)
some vegetable stock
some coconut cream
a small handful of raw almonds
generous dash of celery salt
a handful or tomatoes
a squirt of tomato paste
black pepper
celery salt
one dash asafetida (hing)

To add to sauce:
Chunks of tomato
Mushrooms cut to taste
One handful frozen green peas
Flax seed meal
Anything else you want


Boil high quality and textured pasta of your choice. When its aldente, drain water. Put pasta back in pan, add the raw base, and throw in the tomato chunks, mushrooms, and green peas. Cook for about 10 minutes and then add a dash of flax seed meal to thicken and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Super duper yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment